Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

#REVIEW: The Bible MiniSeries


I finally sat down and watched this miniseries after I checked it out from the library. When it originally came out, I was still far too new and raw in my faith to enjoy it. I was still on very shaky ground with my relationship with God, and I just couldn't watch it. However, I have been watching A.D.: The Bible Continues miniseries on NBC and have been absolutely blown away by it. I knew this was the time for me to sit down and watch the other miniseries by Roma Downey and her husband, Mark Burnett.
I was hoping it would be like A.D., where it was one continuous story line, but I was very disappointed. I understand that we are trying to put thousands of years' worth of stories into a miniseries, and you can only do so much. Some things were glossed over, Abraham was introduced as Abraham, instead of Abram, which may seem like a small insignificant detail, however, I have found when God changes names in the Bible, it's usually a turning point for that person.I loved the first episode with the Flood and Noah. I loved how the creation story was introduced as just that: a word of mouth story that was used to explain the beginning, not a hard and fast doctrine that is taken literally. It had the same feel as the myth of Athena, how she came out of Zeus' head.
The special effects were spectacular throughout the entire series. From the very beginning with the flood, to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, all the way to very end with the crucifixion of Jesus. The miniseries won an Emmy for their audio/visual and they deserved it.
This miniseries is a great miniseries but I'm not sure I would have my kids watch it. As a parent, I think I would like to see a little less gruesome violence if I would let a 9 year old and 6 year old watch it. 

Rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5

Watch now: Google Play Store | Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment