Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

#REVIEW: Permission Granted: Taking the Bible Into Your Own Hands by Jennifer Grace Bird

Title: Permission Granted: Take the Bible Into Your Own Hands
Series: none
Author:  Jennifer Grace Bird
Published Date: March 27, 2015
Publisher: Westminster John Knox
Format: ebook
Pages: 176
ISBN: 9780664260408
Genre: nonfiction
Add to: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon

Rating: 2 ½ stars

Synopsis:  Millions of people around the world look to the Bible as a source of encouragement and faith formation, a reminder that God is love and is in control, and a guide to living one's life the way God desires. But this treasured book has also been misused and manipulated by many, placed on a pedestal of untouchability, and protected from questioning and honest engagement. In 'Permission Granted', Jennifer Grace Bird encourages people of faith to explore the texts on their own, freed from long-held myths and misconceptions.

My Review: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I was truly looking forward to this book. I thought, “Wow, a book that gives me the power to make the Bible my own, to be able to question and examine, and think for myself!” When I started it, I was in love with the book.
And then I started delving deeper into the verses that she quoted, especially one that she quoted multiple times, in fact used for one of her sections. Her section says: 1. What scripture does 1Timothy 3:16 refer to? 1 Timothy 3:16 says, “Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.”
What verse she is really referring to is 2 Timothy 3:16, which is “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” I would be totally nit-picking if this only happened once, and I would look like a fool, but she has done it 6 times in the book.
I loved the fact that she used people like Bart Ehrman and Rachel Held Evans, but she’s nowhere near their caliber. It only seems as if she copies what they are saying, then says it at a slightly different angle, to create a book out of it.

There are much better authors to read than this one if you really want to start chewing on the Bible’s words and making it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment