Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

#REVIEW: The Four Dimensions of Extraordinary Leadership by Jenni Catron

Title: The Four Dimensions of Extraordinary Leadership: The Power of Leading from Your Soul, Heart, Mind and Strength
Series: none
Author: Jenni Catron
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Published Date: Dec 1, 2015
Genre: leadership advice, Christian
Buy it: Amazon

Synopsis:
You have the capacity to become an extraordinary leader—if you are willing to embrace a deeper definition of leadership and take action to apply it.
In The 4 Dimensions of Extraordinary Leadership, Jenni Catron, executive church leader and author of Clout, reveals the secrets to standout leadership found in the Great Commandment: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”
Weaving a winsome narrative filled with inspiring real-life stories, hard-won wisdom, and practical applications, Catron unpacks four essential aspects of growing more influential: your heart for relational leadership, your soul for spiritual leadership, your mind for managerial leadership, and your strength for visionary leadership.
Leadership isn’t easy, but it is possible to move from ordinary to extraordinary. Jenni Catron shows the way.

My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

My review: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first leadership book I have ever read, and I am so glad I did. As a relatively new leader at work, I am truly struggling. Not with the day to day stuff, but with the people. I am not good with people, I never have been, which is why I am in the area I am in, no patient interaction, don't have to deal with a lot of people, just me and the tubes of blood. As a co-worker, I made very superficial relationships with my coworkers. I was in there to do a job and go home. But now as a leader, I need to foster a sense of dependability and trust that the superficial relationships aren't doing. And I have learned that no matter how hard I work at the day to day stuff, that isn't fostering the trust and respect I need from my team.
Reading this book showed me where I am lacking and how to work on those areas. There are four parts to leadership the author speaks about: heart, soul, strength and mind. In every one, she explains what it consists of, how to strengthen it, how it looks if you are lacking in the specific area, and how it looks if you are too strong in it. Yes, too much can be a bad thing in this case. 
I have been able to read this book and start putting the advice into action. That in itself is what makes it such a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment