Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

#REVIEW: The Body Under The Bridge by Paul McCusker


Title: The Body Under The Bridge
Series: Father Gilbert Mysteries #1
Author: Paul McCusker
Publisher: Lion Fiction
Published Date: Jan 27, 2016
Genre: Christian Mystery
Pages: 320
Buy it Link: Amazon
Synopsis:  A former Scotland Yard detective, Father Gilbert knows about death. But, now a priest of a modest Anglican church in the small town of Stonebridge, he didn't expect it to show up like this--in the suicide of a man who threw himself off the church tower, and in the discovery of a two-hundred-year-old body beneath an ancient bridge.
The deaths are linked. The mummified corpse under the bridge, a murder victim, reignites a centuries-old battle between two local families--the Todds and the aristocratic Hayshams. Then both David Todd and Lord Haysham begin to act strangely. They are fearful for reasons they won’t explain.
When Lord Haysham is murdered, David Todd is the prime suspect. But Todd is maniacal, claiming great forces of evil are at work. An entire history of violence and depravity begins to emerge, interweaving the history of several local families with a secret occult society that engages in Black Masses. Has the Society emerged again?

My Rating: 4 Stars

My ReviewI received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was one of the best murder mystery books that I have read in a long time. The fact that an Anglican priest was the one solving the mystery was the best part. From the very beginning of the book, the author had me hooked. It was such a classic, reminding me of those old "Murder She Wrote" mystery episodes on television that was on when I was a child. Add in a centuries-long feud, two dead bodies, some crazy visions, and a dash of the occult, and I was completely hooked.
The author has done such a fantastic job of bringing to life characters that I had never met (being American, I had never heard the radio series). I loved Father Gilbert and the meshing of his past and present. The end fight scene with the big baddie was a little confusing for me as I had no previous encounter with his character before (no spoilers!), however, I can't wait for future books in this series.
Father Benson, poor guy, he was totally just dragged into it kicking and screaming, definitely not a good Watson to Gilbert's Sherlock. I felt bad for him the entire time.
The ending left me a little hungry for justice, but it is what it is. Overall, I think the author did a fantastic job and I can't wait for the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment