Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

#REVIEW: Misconceptions: A Look at God's Word Through First Century Hebraic Eyes by Steven Reider

Title: Misconceptions: A Look at God's Word Through First Century Hebraic Eyes
Author: Steven Reider
Series: none
Publisher: WestBow Press
Published Date: Feb 2, 2016

ISBN: 978-1-51272-897-2
Pages: 146
Genre: biblical history
Buy It Link: Westbow Publishers


Synopsis: There are far too many misconceptions in the Christian faith. Do you know the name of God? Or, do you know the story behind the ceremony of Holy Communion and the parallels to Jesus's life? How about the woman that was caught in adultery; do you know what Jesus wrote in the sand? What was the significance of the Bible mentioning the place where Jesus asked, “Who do you say that I am?” Do you know how to make your faith grow? This book examines these topics and much more.

My Rating: 1 star

My Review: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I did not like this book. From the very beginning, it felt like I was off-kilter reading this book, like I was reading some other history entirely, in a lens I didn't recognize. Maybe that was the point, but I don't feel like the author did a lot of in-depth research, or any research at all. The second chapter was probably the most intriguing to me, with the concept that the Israelite camps mirrored the throne of God. I'm still doing my own research on that. Then there was the whole "if someone forces you to walk one mile, walk two miles" which generally is accepted to mean what the author proposes, that you should "go the extra mile". On the other hand, historically, Romans could force someone to carry their stuff for one mile. Some preliminary research of my own suggests that a Roman could not force someone to carry it further than one mile, so if you carry it an extra mile, the soldier could get into trouble, and it could be a method of peaceful resistance.
Overall, I didn't enjoy this book, I think it could have been written so much better if enough research was put into it.




No comments:

Post a Comment