Pages

Friday, November 11, 2016

#REVIEW: The Silent Songbird by Melanie Dickerson

Title: The Silent Songbird
Series: none
Author: Melanie Dickerson
Publisher:Thomas Nelson
Published Date: November 8, 2016
ISBN: 978-0718026318
Genre: Young Adult Christian Historical Fiction
Buy It Link: Amazon
Synopsis: Desperate to flee a political marriage to her cousin King Richard II’s closest advisor, Lord Shiveley—a man twice her age with shadowy motives—Evangeline runs away and joins a small band of servants journeying back to Glynval, their home village.
Pretending to be mute, she gets to know Westley le Wyse, their handsome young leader, who is intrigued by the beautiful servant girl. But when the truth comes out, it may shatter any hope that love could grow between them.
More than Evangeline’s future is at stake as she finds herself entangled in a web of intrigue that threatens England’s monarchy.Should she give herself up to protect the only person who cares about her? If she does, who will save the king from a plot to steal his throne?

My Rating: 3 1/2 stars

My Review: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This book was a very sweet, clean, historical fiction book perfect for YA Christians. It has just the right amount of God in it, not so overbearing that it takes away from the story line, but just enough to see that faith is very vital part to the heroine's life.
I wanted to like Evangeline, I really did. At times she was strong-willed and believable, and other times she seemed to wilt back into this typical, medieval princess type. There were times where it was perfectly believable that she wanted to do whatever it took to escape this awful man her cousin willed her to marry, and then, when you sat back and thought about it....she didn't even whimper? Not a single whimper? Her hands were bleeding, open sores, and she wasn't complaining a single bit?Which then brings me to the whole word "septic"that was used several times in this book by the main characters. I guess it's because I'm in the medical field that this poked at me so much. The term sepsis didn't occur until much later in history than this story occurred, and I wouldn't have minded if the characters just used the words"rot" or "blood rot" or something a little more historically accurate.
And Westley.... there were times where he just didn't seem believable enough for me, some of his dialogue just seemed very forced to me.
I absolutely love the author's books, this one just didn't resonate very well with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment