Pages

Friday, February 24, 2017

#REVIEW: Control Girl by Shannon Popkin

Title: Control Girl: Lessons on Surrendering Your Burden of Control from Seven Women in the Bible
Series: none
Author: Shannon Popkin
Publisher: Kregel Publications
Published Date: Jan 27, 2017
ISBN: 978-0825444296
Buy It Link: Amazon

Synopsis: Little fights with your husband and kids. Unhappiness when things don't match your version of perfect. Tension, anger, fear, anxiety--it all begins with a heart that craves control. When your perspective of how life should go replaces God's, you doom your quest for security, peace, and joy before it even starts.
Thankfully, there is a better way.
Join Shannon as she shares what she has discovered about her own control struggles and about God from studying seven Control Girls in the Bible. Whether it was Eve's desire to know instead of trust, Sarah's inability to wait for God to move, or Rebekah's controlling hand on her family's future, each of these women's stories contain warnings and lessons for us today.
Learn how you too can lay down this burden of trying to control everything and find rest in surrendering to the One who truly is in control.

My Rating: 4 stars

My Review: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Ever heard of a worrier? Yeah, I take that to an art form, along with probably 30% of the American population. I have worried about conversations I had years ago and actions I should or shouldn't have done because of those conversations. So do a lot of other people. And people who are worriers are ultimately dealing with control issues. When things seem out of control, that is when I worry the most.
From these seven women of the Bible, I found that I am probably most like Eve, in her need to know instead of trusting in what others tell me. But whether I am like Eve, or Rebekah, or Esther, I have been able to learn lessons from each of these women. At the end of each chapter are Bible verses to reflect on and questions to answer as you work your way through the book.
One of the quotes from the book that struck me was “If it’s hidden, it’s out of our control.” In a way, I can agree with it, in another way, my job requires me to dig deeper, look at details. It's a struggle for me to dig for details, and to trust at the same time.
Overall, I found this book to have a lot of good advice to let go of the smaller worries that I really have no control over.

No comments:

Post a Comment