Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2017

#REVIEW: Alabaster by Chris Aslan

Title: Alabaster
Author: Chris Aslan
Series: none
ISBN: 978-1782642282
Pages: 208
Publisher: Lion Fiction (Kregel)
Published Date: March 28. 2017
Buy It Link: Amazon

Synopsis: Maryam is stuck in an abusive marriage, living with her in-laws in a conservative, toxically religious village. A few years back, her father was given a jar of priceless perfume by a dying leper and it seemed as if their fortunes would improve, but then Maryam's father contracted leprosy and was exiled from the village. Maryam and her siblings, Eleazar and Marta, experience the shame and ostracism this brings. The precious jar that was meant to bring them freedom has only brought destruction. But rumors abound concerning a new doctor; perhaps hope is on the horizon. . . .
Alabaster brings a first-century Middle Eastern village and its culture to life for modern-day readers.

My Rating: 5 stars

My Review: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is one of my favorite stories within the gospels. I love to see anyone attempt to fictionalize this and flesh this woman out. And this book did an amazing job.
Once I started it, and thankfully I did it on one of my days off, I couldn't stop, I couldn't tear myself away from this haunting and beautiful story of first century Middle Eastern culture. The heroine's tale is so well-written, I found myself right next to her in her pain, shame and grief. And when hope came along, I was right there with her, my heart soaring along with her.
You have to read it to understand how rich and captivating this story is, words just seem shallow in comparison to reading this book and being transported there.

No comments:

Post a Comment